Adamsdown School

When Cardiff School Board was established in 1875, one of its priorities was the provision of a school for 800 children in the ecclesiastical district of All Saints.  To address this need, they quickly established Adamsdown Temporary School in the schoolroom under Mount Tabor Chapel (now the Jewish Reform Synagogue) in Moira Terrace.  The Board subsequently acquired, from the Marquess of Bute, a site on the north-western side of Adamsdown Square and a new school, designed by local architect W. D. Blessley, and built by Samuel Shepton, opened on 31 April 1879.

d1093-2- 024 Adamsdown School_compressed

Over the next twenty years or so, the school appears to have been extended more than once, and by 1901 it was reported to have accommodation for 888 scholars.

A replacement primary school opened in 1985, in nearby System Street.  The Adamsdown Square building then closed and was demolished in about 1988.  The site is now occupied by two blocks of flats – Windsor Mews and Ty’r Ysgol.

David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer

Sources consulted:

  • Mary Traynor Collection [D1093/2/19]
  • Cardiff Borough, building regulation plans, plan of Adamsdown Board School, South Luton Place, 1878 [BC/S/1/1637]
  • Cardiff School Board Records, minute book of the Sites and Buildings Committee, 1875-1881 [ESB68/21]
  • City of Cardiff Education Week 1932
  • Childs, Jeff, Roath, Splott and Adamsdown – One Thousand Years of History
  • South Wales Daily News, 5 Jan 1899
  • Weekly Mail, 8 September 1900