Funded by trustees of the third Marquess of Bute (who was then a minor), the Drill Hall in Dumfries Place, was erected in 1867, primarily as a base for the volunteer force (predecessor of the Territorial Army).
Designed by London architect, Alexander Roos, who was also one of the Bute trustees, it was built of coloured bricks after the Byzantine style. At 148 feet (45 metres) long and 66 feet (20 metres) wide, the central hall could accommodate a standing audience of more than 4,000. Subject to the volunteers’ operational needs, it was made available for events such as concerts and public meetings, and served for many years as the home of the Working Men’s Flower Show.
Located alongside the Taff Vale Railway, the building was fronted by a parade ground and faced south along Dumfries Place. Demolished in the 1970s to make way for dual carriageways in Stuttgarter Strasse and Dumfries Place, its approximate site is now represented by the office blocks known as Dumfries House and Marchmount House.
David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer
- Mary Traynor Collection [D1093/2/7]
- Various Cardiff and south Wales directories
- Davies, John, Cardiff and the Marquesses of Bute (p.139)
- The Cardiff Times, 15 June 1867