Because properties in Charles Street appear to have been renumbered at least twice, it is not easy to trace, with certainty, the history of number 62. However, the building probably dates from the middle of the 19th century. A comparison of census and directory details suggests that, between about 1880 and the early 1900s, it was number 52, and might also have been named Llancarvan House.
The house, as originally built, was probably plainer in its external appearance, since it was only in 1884 that building approval was sought to add the bay windows and porch. That application was submitted by Thomas Windsor Jacobs, an Alderman of Cardiff, who went on to serve as Mayor in 1887-88. Records show that he still lived at 52 Charles Street well into the 1890s.
Following Alderman Jacobs’ departure, the property was acquired by the Cardiff Board of Guardians who, until their demise in 1930, housed the Poor Law Union Dispensary there, and also the Superintendent Registrar’s office. Subsequent occupants have included wholesalers of various products, solicitors, and a charity.
David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer
- Mary Traynor Collection (ref.: D1093/1/3)
- Cardiff Borough Records, plans for additions to house, 52 Charles Street, 1884 (ref,: BC/S/1/4454.1)
- Cardiff Borough Records, plans for new Registrars Office, Llancarfan House, Charles Street, 1897 (ref.: BC/S/1/12408)
- Various Cardiff Directories
- 1851 – 1911 Censuses