On 8 May 1878, Cardiff Rural Sanitary Authority approved plans, drawn up by John Prichard, the Llandaff Diocesan Architect, for building a house on a large plot of land adjacent to Insole Court. Prichard’s client was Evan Lewis, proprietor of coal mines in the Aberdare area. By the time of the 1881 census, Lewis, then aged 58, was living in Brynderwen with his wife and eight children. The household also included Mrs Lewis’s mother, and seven servants. While not playing a prominent role in public affairs, Evan Lewis was a local magistrate and served for several years as churchwarden at Llandaff Cathedral.
Evan Lewis died in 1901 and Brynderwen was subsequently acquired by John Llewellyn Morgan, only child of David Morgan, founder of the department store which traded in central Cardiff until 2005. The 1911 census lists him along with his wife Edith, two of their sons, and three servants. John Llewellyn Morgan died in 1941 but Edith was still listed at Brynderwen in the 1949 Cardiff Directory. By 1952, though, the house was occupied by Major Evan John Carne David, a member of the David family which formerly owned the Fairwater House and Radyr Court estates. Born in 1888, he served as a Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant of Glamorgan and was High Sheriff of the county in 1930. Following Major David’s death in 1982, the house was demolished and replaced by a development of some 26 detached houses, known as Hardwicke Court.
David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer
- Mary Traynor Collection (ref.: D1093/1/2)
- Cardiff Rural District Council Records, plans for house at Llandaff for Mr Evan Lewis, Llandaff, 1878 (ref.: RDC/S/2/1878/8)
- Family history of the David family of Fairwater (ref.: DDAV/1)
- Various Cardiff Directories
- Morgan, Aubrey Niel: David Morgan 1833-1919 The Life and Times of a Master Draper in South Wales
- 1881 – 1911 Censuses
- The Cardiff Times, 10 February 1883
- Weekly Mail, 14 February 1885
- Weekly Mail, 16 April 1887
- The Cardiff Times, 31 March 1894
- Evening Express, 17 April 1900
- Evening Express, 11 & 14 November 1901
- The Times, 27 March 1982