Merthyr House, James Street & Evelyn Street, Cardiff

Merthyr House was erected in 1918 on the corner of James Street and Evelyn Street, Cardiff.  The building ran back as far as Adelaide Place and presented Bath stone frontages to each of the three streets.  Designed by local architect Henry Budgen, it was built by the renowned Cardiff firm of E. Turner & Sons Ltd.  A Turner brochure referred to it as the ‘western end’ of the building, which suggests there might have been ambitions to extend it over the whole block with an additional facia to Adelaide Street, but this appears never to have come to fruition.  From the outset, Merthyr House was occupied as offices.  Its tenants included some of the most prominent South Wales coal and shipping companies.

rsz_d1093-2-21_to_44_031_edwardian_warehouse_james_street_merthyr_house

In the early hours of Sunday 17 March 1946, a fire broke out in the second floor offices of the Reardon-Smith shipping line.  The fire seems to have taken hold very quickly.  Firefighters rescued the caretaker and his family who were trapped on the top floor and there was no loss of life or appreciable damage to surrounding buildings.  A considerable part of the south side of the building was saved but the northern (James Street) end was destroyed.  In addition to losing their operating base, several companies lost records detailing their histories.

A few days after the incident, Sir James Wilson, Chief Constable of Cardiff, voiced criticism of the speed with which the National Fire Service had responded, and also the manner in which they fought the fire.  The Home Secretary appointed John Flowers KC to inquire into the issues Sir James had raised, and his report was published in July of the same year.  In the event, not only did Flowers find none of the complaints to have been justified, but he specifically commended the manner in which one fire officer had handled the rescue of the top floor occupants.

In 1950, approval was sought by the owners, J Cory & Sons Ltd, to renovate Merthyr House.  Their plans clearly show that the James Street end of the building had now been wholly removed; its site being used for car parking.  In fact, the northern section was never rebuilt, though a rather incongruous single-storey concrete entrance block was added, at some point, on that side of the building.

Merthyr House never regained its pre-fire status as one of Butetown’s principal office buildings.  In the early 1960s, it was occupied by a distributor of motor cars; later it housed the Works Department of the University of Wales Press.  And at some point, it was re-named Imperial House.  After several years of neglect, it was demolished and the site currently stands empty.

David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer

Sources consulted:

  • Mary Traynor Collection [D1093/2/31]
  • Cardiff Borough, building regulation plans, plan for renovations at Merthyr House, James Street, 1950 [BC/S/1/39995]
  • Flowers, John KC, Inquiry into the Fire at Merthyr House, James Street, Cardiff on the 17th March 1946 (Cmd. 6877)
  • Superb Buildings erected by E. Turner & Sons Ltd (1929)
  • Lee, Brian, Cardiff’s Vanished Docklands
  • Lee, Brian & Butetown History and Arts Centre, Butetown and Cardiff Docks (Images of Wales series)
  • Various Cardiff directories

South Wales Echo, 18 March 1946; 21 March 1946; 3 August 1946

Advertisements

Small but Perfectly Formed

In 1981, the 75th accession received by Glamorgan Record Office was a single postcard of Cardiff City Hall, c.1950s.

Postcard of Cardiff City Hall

Postcard of Cardiff City Hall

It seems far removed in quantity from some of the other annual 75th accessions received but, as there is no size restriction on deposits, the postcard was readily accepted.

The postcard formed part of a series of items which were transferred to Glamorgan Record Office from Gwynedd Archives in Caernarfon. Archive services throughout the country often re-distribute records which they receive that do not relate to the area they serve, sending them instead to the appropriate local archive.

The building of the then ‘town hall’ in Cardiff was commenced in 1901 from the designs of Messrs. Lanchester Stewart & Rickards. The work was undertaken by the Cardiff building firm of E. Turner & Sons Ltd. The laying of the ‘town hall’ foundation stone took place at a ceremony on 23 October 1901, and an official programme for the event is held at Glamorgan Archives (BC/X/9). By the time the building was completed Cardiff had been given city status, and the town hall became a ‘City Hall’.

Programme for laying of foundation stone

Programme for laying of foundation stone

A search of our on-line catalogue Canfod for records relating to ‘Cardiff City / Town Hall’ returns some 30 items. Our collection of Cardiff City building regulation plans (BC/S/1) does not include the original plans for this magnificent building. But this year we received a deposit of photographs relating to buildings constructed by E.Turner & Sons Ltd.; one has been acknowledged as showing the construction of City Hall (D1079).

Construction of Cardiff City Hall

Construction of Cardiff City Hall