Opened in July 1894, the Avondale Hotel was a venture of local hotelier and caterer, Richard Palethorpe Culley, who already ran the restaurant in the nearby Exchange building, as well as several other businesses in Cardiff and beyond. Designed by E W M Corbett, it was built by W Thomas & Co. The hotel was later acquired by Crosswell’s Brewery, which ultimately became part of the Whitbread group. Subsequently demolished, the site is now occupied by a block of flats named Avondale Court.
Clarence House, at the junction of Hunter Street and Harrowby Lane, clearly dates from 1896. Still standing today, it appears to have undergone significant reconstruction since this 1983 sketch. Most notably, it has lost the ornate pediment which so strikingly identifies it in Mary Traynor’s picture. In more recent years, the name Clarence House has been adopted for the former Salvage Association building in Clarence Road.
David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer
- Mary Traynor Collection (ref.: D1093/1/2)
- Cardiff Borough Police Records, plans of licensed premises in Cardiff, 1897-1965 (ref.: DCONC/6/4a-g)
- Newman, John: The Buildings of Wales – Glamorgan
- Various Cardiff Directories
- Evening Express, 7 July 1894