Cardiff Yacht Club was founded in 1900, originally meeting in the Avondale Hotel, Clarence Road, on the site now occupied by Avondale Court. The Marquess of Bute presented silver cups to the winners of the races held at annual reviews and regattas.
The clubhouse illustrated by Mary Traynor stood south of the now closed access lock to Roath Basin. It was built by members from a prefabricated building in 1958 and extended in 1981.
With the redevelopment of Cardiff Bay, the Yacht Club moved in 2001 to new premises at the western end of Windsor Esplanade.
David Webb, Glamorgan Archives Volunteer
- Mary Traynor Collection [D1093/2/52]
- Kelly’s Directory of Cardiff, 1972