Captain Mervyn Crawshay’s diary ends abruptly, mid-sentence, on 29 October 1914. He was killed in action a few days later on 31 October 1914.
Captain Mervyn Crawshay is commemorated on the Menin Gate. His remains were discovered in 1970, along with those of another soldier, in a wartime shell pit in an isolated site near Messines. Neither could be identified. Their remains were reburied at Cement House Cemetery, Langemark, in August 1970.
The body of Mervyn Crawshay was identified 22 years later, in 1992, when a member of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s records section undertook research to establish the identity of this unknown officer. A new headstone was erected at the grave in 1993.
You can read Captain Mervyn Crawshay’s entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website here:
The First World War diary of Captain Mervyn Crawshay can be consulted at Glamorgan Archives (www.glamarchives.gov.uk). Further documents relating to his service in the army can be found at the National Army Museum in London (www.nam.ac.uk) and at the Royal Dragoon Guards Museum in York (www.rdgmuseum.org.uk).