The 75th deposit for the year 2009 was a series of photographs, postcards, programmes and newsletters relating to events in Maesteg and other areas. The material itself dates from around 1900 to 2012 and the diversity of the subject matter means it will be of great interest to many, especially those exploring the social history of the Llynfi Valley.
The postcards of Maesteg itself include views of St Michael’s and St David’s churches, Bethania chapel, the town hall, the war memorial and council chambers, the general hospital, the park, the railway station, the market place, Garth Colliery, plus general street scenes and views. These postcards date from 1900-1950 reflecting just how much the town had changed in such a short period of time. An ‘Official Guide’ to Maesteg from 1948 is also included in the collection.
Those who enjoy the history of sport may well be interested in several of the items. There are programmes for rugby matches between Maesteg RFC and local rivals Bridgend which were played during the 1960’s. There’s also a programme from the ‘Welsh Games’ in 1962.
Other notable items included amongst this material are a photograph of VE Day celebrations in Maesteg and a photograph of Queen Mary visiting a local mining family in 1938.
These are archives that could be held by any one of us at home, hidden away at the back of cupboards or in boxes in the attic. Anyone can present material to the Archives, so if you have similar items charting local history then why not contact us to ensure that they’re preserved for the future.